Joining the blocks - at last!

It's been over a year, I know! I have a very good reason for not posting the instructions for the joining of the blocks - I forgot to take photos of the all the stages.............................oops!


Just a recap - The foundation fabric for my blocks is approximately 3" larger (on all sides) than the 6'' measurement of the blocks. I do this for quite a few reasons - I like to use a hoop whenever possible and the extra fabric allows the square to fit into a hoop. Another reason is that when I add my border fabric it too has the foundation fabric under it - therefore my blocks and borders present the same. I hope that this makes sense. I NEVER cut the excess foundation fabric until I have decided on the  placement of the blocks. One more thing, I prefer crazy quilting without sashing so these instructions will not include sashing.

Step 1. Decide on the placement of your blocks.

Step 2. Make a template

Using template plastic cut out a window - the measurement of the window is the block size (which in this case is 6'') and then add 1/2'' seam allowance to all sides. That means the window for this project is a7'' square.

Step 3. Trimming back

The next on my to-do list is to determine which sides of the block I am going to trim back - meaning removing of the excess foundation fabric. You will notice that I have marked the sides of this block that will be trimmed back with an X. This is the center block therefore ALL the sides will be trimmed back to the marked line.

Obviously, the center block will have all sides trimmed. So, I can go ahead and place the window onto the block and center it and mark with a marker - this marked line is now the CUTTING line and includes a 1/2'' seam allowance. 

It is at this point that I forgot to take photos...................................... However, you can see from the diagram that my husband drew which sides of the squares need to be trimmed back to the marked cutting line and which will still have the excess foundation fabric LEFT INTACT!!!!!!

Step 4.

Stitch the block together in a row and then join the three rows to form the wall hanging.

Step 5.

If you are adding feather stitch around the blocks now is the time to do that.

Step 6.

Decide how wide you would like the border to be and stitch that to the wall hanging.

I like to stretch my small pieces of crazy quilting onto a wooden frame - that means I have to add quite  a wide border.

If I am not stretching the crazy quilt onto a frame I secure the raw edges of the seams to the foundation fabric (on the back of the work). A herringbone stitch is a great stitch to use. Be careful not to let the stitches show on the right side of the work. Your seams will lie beautifully flat if you use this method. Remember that I use a 1/2'' seam allowance for my crazy quilting this also helps in keeping the seams between the blocks flat.

  

 

So, there you are! My method of joining my crazy blocks.

 I hope that you find it usefull!

Jenny C

Comments

  1. Is it still possible for me to get the pattern for the crazy quilt foundation
    blocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo quiero hacer estos bloques, todavia puedo tener los patrones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just discovered your blog and it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracias, muy buen tip el de la plantilla, muy practico.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts