Block 1 - Pattern #2 - seam treatment 2

Firstly, a big thank you to all of you who have made contact with me and some have sent photos of their work, which is so great! I asked permission to share the photos, I am still waiting on responses.

 For today's tutorial  I have used Perle #8, 4mm silk ribbon and Perle #16 - BUT don't stress for those of you who do not have these on hand I have given an another version of this seam treatment at the bottom of this post.

Threads used: 
Perle #8
4mm silk ribbon 
Small sequins 

Stitches used:
Stem stitch
Ribbon stitch
Straight stitch


1. Begin with a stem stitch along the seam and then another on each side of that making sure that they are all not the same length. I used a Perle#8.

Stem stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING p73




2. Thread your Chenille #22 needle with 4mm silk ribbon and stitch a few ribbon stitches along the stem to create some petals.  Remember to work "soft hands" and a looser tension as you stitch with silk ribbon.

Ribbon stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING pg77




3. Start at the bottom of your stems and create a few leaves still using the ribbon stitch but this time make the stitches a little longer.

Ribbon stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING pg77



4. Work your way up the stem adding more ribbon stitch leaves - they do not have to evenly spaced.

Ribbon stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING pg77



5. And as you know by now, I am the queen of the straight stitch, so lets get some down along the stem BUT keep them long and elegant!

Straight stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING pg 73



6. We need to throw a little light to create movement. A few tiny sequins (or beads) are added to the little flowers  - they do not need to be on each flower.



This is for all those of you who do not have silk ribbon on hand:

1. Stem stitch - 3 strands of stranded cotton
 Stem stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING pg 73
2. The petals are done in lazy daisy in 6 strands of stranded cotton (keep them short and fat!)
 Lazy daisy - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING pg72
3. The straight stitches - Perle #16 or a single stand of stranded cotton.
 Straight stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING pg 73
4. The larger leaves at the bottom are a straight stitch in 6 strands of stranded cotton.
 Straight stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING pg 73
5. Instead of small sequins I have used tiny seed beads
  Single bead stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING pg85


The above octagon is from my daily stitching project on repurposed fabrics - I begin most days stitching similar to the "stream of consciousness" concept from the Writer's Way by Sarah Maitland (its my embroidery yoga)
Because I am enjoying this blogging so much I will be posting another tutorial in a few days.
Please let me know how you are all doing and if I need to change a few things.


Till next time, happy stitching!
Jenny C



Comments

  1. I'm really enjoying the work. I wasn't happy with my first attempt at seam treatment one, so I am doing another with lighter colors and a more even herringbone. Where should we send photos, Jenny? Much gratitude and well wishes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can send it jenniferclouston@gmail.com Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for offering two versions of the seam treatment. Now to decide which one to use as they are both beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts