Block 2 - Pattern #2 seam treatments 5 and 6


                                                  Pattern #2
       Seam that joins piece # 7 to pieces #3, #4 and #5


                                  Threads used: 
                                                       Perle #8
                                                Nymo beading thread
                                                   Small seed beads
                                                 Small flower sequins
                                                   

                                                  Stitches used:
                                               Straight feather stitch
                                                  Bullion lazy daisy
                                                      Beaded sequin



 I have drawn where the feather stitch will be - I thought this might be helpful for you to allow space for all the four straight feather stitches when you are working on your block.

1. Using a Perle #8 stitch a lovely curved straight feather stitch along the seam. As you will remember, I ALWAYS cover my seams first.

Straight feather stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING - page 73






2. Add one more straight feather stitch and "audition" sequins to see how they will look before adding the rest of the straight feather stitch.

Beaded sequin -  FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING - page 83




3. Once you are happy with the space that the sequins take up, add one or more straight feather stitches to the area. Remember not to "splay your bottom" of the feather stitch "tree".

Scatter a few bullion lazy daisy stitches leaves along the "stem" with a Perle #8 thread.

Bullion lazy daisy stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY-QUILT PROJECTS - page 81




Piece #6

1. Create a few branches with stem stitch and Perle #8. Gently lift the ribbon garland to work continue the branches under the garland.

Stem stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING - page 73



2. Scatter a few tufted buds along the stem and add a bead at the base of the tuft.

Tufted buds - FOOLPROOF CRAZY-QUILT PROJECTS - page 93




3. To create a nice spiky effect - stitch a long straight stitch down and then couch it down to form little twigs. Couching is not a stitch;  you emerge from the work and reinsert the needle in the same hole over the thread you aim to keep in place.





4. After creating my branch with tufted flowers I thought that the seam with the dreaded bugles looked a bit naked so I added colonial knots at the base of the bugles and lazy daisy extended twig things. However, beads or French knots would have worked too.

Colonial knots - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING - page 71

Bees
For the little bees stitch down three small beads  - gold, black, gold in that order. The little wings are two loop stitches on either side of the bee alongside the middle bead. I threaded my needle with two different colours of metallic thread.

Loop stitch - FOOLPROOF CRAZY QUILTING - page 77






5. Another adjustment I made when I THOUGHT the block was complete; I added a few extra petals to the beaded flower to make it look bit uneven.
And then to finish it off some colonial knots were stitch in place on the ends of the straight feather stitches.

AMENDMENT TO THIS POST

Once I completed the block and looked at it alongside the first block I decided to remove the lovely rose coloured ruched silk ribbon garland and replaced it with a very neutral ribbon. You will also noticed that I couched the ribbon down between the little roses.








 The couching between the little roses.


In the photo below is the original ribbon, it clearly was very, very wrong.


That is what I also enjoy about crazy quilting - it keeps me honest. I really, really, really wanted to use the really lovely rose coloured ribbon. But.........................


DISCLAIMER - I do not go with the theory that "anything goes" in crazy quilting - I think we need to show restraint and follow what the work tells us to do!!!!



And there we have it - block two done and dusted!

I am going to pick up speed and complete the blocks faster; as it looks like I will be teaching again in June - oh, happy days!

Regards
Jenny C



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts